Wednesday, August 05, 2009

The Appeal

The Appeal

John Grisham

[I'm on holiday right now, so these might come thick and fast)

What can I say? The last book I read of Grisham’s didn’t impress, so this could only get better. And it did, marginally. It took me about half the book to realise that this wasn’t about any appeal, but about the characters, politics, big business and sly wheeler dealings that go on in life. It is a slow meander through a legal life where the underdog continues to get bitten.

Not the best Grisham I’ve read. I won’t read it again.

1 comment:

Ceska said...

This was a decent novel, but like others have to say that Grisham has fallen off of my "must read" thriller writers list. The story plodded along for much of the time. But, at the end the Old Grisham emerged - complete with a nice little twist - that left you guessing where it would lead, then twisted itself again.

I miss the old books that took you through a nice roller-coaster ride of well thought out twists and turns, with interesting characters on top of that - but this is still good, solid, decent Grisham.